Getting Your Motorcycle Back on the Road
After conflicting reports from Groundhogs, it appears that spring is upon us in Victoria. And you know what that means – it’s time to get those motorcycles back on the road!
If your bike has been sitting in storage for the winter, there are a few things you will want to do to get it back in riding shape. First, pull out your owner’s manual, then:
- Clean the bike so you can more easily see all the parts that may need your attention
- Inspect the frame – are there any cracks or rust that need to be addressed?
- Check the tires for cracks and deterioration and make sure the pressure air pressure is adequate
- Check the brake pads and replace them if they are wearing thin. You may want to add fresh brake fluid as well, and lubricate the brake cables
- Check (and lubricate) the chain, adjust the tension if needed
- Check the lights and replace any burned out bulbs
- Check the battery – it may need charging or replacing (for additional tips on keeping your motorcycle battery in tip-top shape, click here)
- Check the oil and change it if needed. You may also need to change the filter.
- Torque the nuts and bolts and adjust the valves
- Add add fresh fuel to help the bike start with ease – you may need to drain and clean the tank first – and clean the fuel filter
- Check the air filter and clean or replace if needed
- Turn it on, let it warm up, and check that there are no fluid leaks
Once the bike has been cleaned, inspected and tuned up, it’s time for the best part… insurance!
Every vehicle on the road in BC needs basic insurance from ICBC, to cover accident benefits and liability. The coverage for physical damage to your bike can be purchased through Megson FitzPatrick’s industry-leading motorcycle insurance program.
With the Megson FitzPatrick motorcycle insurance package, you get:
- Collision coverage – if you crash your bike into something and it damaged the bike, this covers repairs to your bike
- Comprehensive coverage – this covers fire, theft, vandalism and other miscellaneous perils
- Additional living expenses and travel expenses if you are in accident while traveling outside of your city of residence
- Loss of use coverage – so you can still have a bike to ride after an accident, while yours is being repaired
- Emergency roadside assistance
- Riding gear coverage
- Lock re-keying – this covers the costs to re-key your bike’s locks if the keys are stolen
- … and more!
To get a quote for your motorcycle, call us today at 1.888.595.5212. Your new policy can be set up entirely over the phone.
We can also renew the ICBC insurance – for your motorcycle or any of your other vehicles – by phone. Call the number above to speak with one of our expert auto agents.